The Sheriff's Department, in order to improve
our level of service to the community, has implemented a telephone
reporting system, allowing certain types of incidents to be reported over
the phone. This will make taking your report easier and faster for you.
The sections below explain the project in detail.
Essentially the telephone reporting system
is used for certain non-emergency calls. That would be defined as calls
where there is no threat of injury and where no suspect is present.
To make a telephone report, simply check
the list below to see if your incident can be handled over the phone. Then
dial 576-3000 and tell the operator that you need to make a phone
What can I make a telephone report about?
What can I NOT make a telephone report
||Qualified calls would
- Larceny: Monetary Value less
than $2000.00 (including: Gas drive-offs and theft from an
auto where victim is calling from another city/state.
- Burglary of motel/hotel room
where a victim is calling from another city/state.
- Vandalism: Malicious mischief
where property damage is $500.00 or less.
- Fraud or Breach of Trust where
the loss is less than $1000.00; except where there is evidence
to be examined or collected.
- A Follow-up report: Supplement
reports in which additional information or property needs to
be added to the original report.
- Obscene/Threatening Telephone
calls: Nuisance calls in nature, i.e., hang-ups, heavy
breathing, child's play, etc.
- Trespassing circumstances where
a suspect is not currently on scene.
- Animal Complaints - stray or
- Zoning Complaints.
- Reports made for Insurance
- Reports civil in nature.
Example: Property disputes & Evictions
- Domestic Reports where the
complainant states specifically that the report is being made
for documentation only.
- Truancy reports or complaints
where the child is not on scene.
- Crime tips, narcotics activity,
or suspect locations.
REQUIRE that a Deputy be dispatched to you. Examples would
- A suspect is present or an
immediate apprehension can be made.
- There is physical evidence to be
- Stolen Motor Vehicle Reports and
Stolen Motor Vehicle Recoveries.
- Missing Persons and Missing
Persons recovery Reports.
- Assaults and criminal domestic
- Animal complaints where a victim
has sustained injuries.
- There is a communications
problem where the dispatcher cannot determine what has
- The dispatcher or Sheriff
Department representative deems it necessary that an officer
- The caller request to see a
County Sheriff's Foundation
Obtain a Restraining Order
Online Incident Reporting
Incident Report Request
Richland County's Wanted
Community Satisfaction Survey
-- Crime Stats
-- Crime Maps
-- Crime Alerts